Don't ditch your Discard, make these Sourdough Discard Brownies instead! These ultra tender brownies get an irresistible tang from the discard, but the real star of the recipe is Sunnyland Farms Georgia Pecan Halves. Folded into the batter and sprinkled on top halfway through baking, Sunnyland's premium Georgia-grown pecans add addictive crunch and nuttiness to every slice. You'll come for the sourdough, and stay for the rich pecans.
Sourdough Discard Brownies
Makes about 12 brownies
- 1 cup (170 grams) 63% cacao extra-dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (220 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (64 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt
- 5 large eggs (250 grams)
- 1 tablespoon (13 grams) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (251 grams) sourdough starter discard, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups (256 grams) chopped 66% cacao dark chocolate, divided
- 1 1/4 cups (141 grams) chopped toasted Sunnyland Farms Georgia Pecan Halves, divided
- Preheat oven 350°F (180°C). Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine chocolate chips and butter. Cook over simmering water, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Turn off heat, and whisk in sugars. Remove from heat, and let cool for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.
- Add eggs to chocolate mixture, whisking until combined. Whisk in vanilla. Fold flour mixture into chocolate mixture until only a few bits of flour remain. Fold in sourdough discard until well combined. Fold in 1 cup (170 grams) chopped chocolate and 1 cup (113 grams) pecans. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few crumbs, about 38 minutes. Remove from oven, and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup (85 grams) chopped chocolate and remaining ¼ cup (28 grams) pecans. Bake until chocolate is melted, about 2 minutes more. Let cool completely in pan. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, and cut into squares.