1 cup butter (softened)
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 lb Sunnyland Dates (pitted and chopped)
1 lb orange (slices candy, chopped)
2 cups Sunnyland Small Pecan Pieces
1 1/3 cups shredded coconut
1 cup orange juice
2 cups confectioners sugar
- Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Lightly grease and flour one 10 inch tube pan.
- In a mixing bowl, cream margarine and granulated sugar until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk and add to the creamed mixture.
- Place flour in a large bowl and add dates, orange slices, and nuts. Stir to coat each piece. Add flour mixture and coconut to creamed mixture. This makes a very stiff dough, so it will be necessary to stir with a wooden spoon.
- Pour batter into the tube pan. Bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. As soon as cake comes from oven, combine the orange juice and confectioners sugar and pour over hot cake. Let stand in pan overnight.
Recipe Picture from allrecipes.com